Location: 4th Floor LKS Centre
Supervisor: Dr. Spencer Proctor
Office Telephone: 780-492-4672
Emergency Contact: Dr. Spencer Proctor
After-hours Contact: 780-909-7004
- University buildings may be evacuated for a variety of reasons, including fire, weather emergencies, hazardous material releases or bomb threats.
- Familiarize yourself with the evacuation route and designated muster (gathering) point.
- For more information on this and other emergency procedures visit: uab.ca/emergency
STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE OF THE PROCESS:
- Stay calm, do not panic
- Stop all work immediately or begin to shut down experimental work. If unable to do so alert the floor warden or contact Protective Services (780-492-5050)
- Turn off hazardous equipment
- Secure samples if possible
- Take keys, personal identification
- Clear from work space, alert coworkers, do not leave anyone behind
- Close doors behind you
- If smoke is present, crawl along the floor, cover mouth and nose
- Leave immediately, seeking the nearest designated exit
- Use stairways (south and north side of LKS), do NOT use elevators
- *People who cannot evacuate using the stairs for mobility reasons will:
Report to the nearest emergency exit stairwell and remain there or
Alert the Floor Warden or contact Protective Services (780-492-5050)
*In LKS the stairwells on both sides of the building are fire-rated and safe places to wait for assistance.
- Leave and move away from the building
- Meet at the Muster Point; Parking Lot C, south side of the LKS building (facing the hospital)
- Notify floor wardens or emergency responders if you suspect that someone is still inside
- Do NOT re-enter the building until permitted to do so by emergency responders or the Fire Warden
- IMPORTANT: If there is an emergency, and the alarm has not sounded, activate the fire alarm at the nearest pull station.